- Several concepts are under discussion.
- Construction on the section from Sullivan to Barker is complete.
Why is WSDOT
pursuing the expansion of I-90?
I-90 is a major commute and travel route for eastern Spokane County and North Idaho with traffic volumes exceeding 100,000 vehicles per day. I-90 is a Strategic Freight Corridor because of the international and domestic interstate and intrastate trade that it carries. Freight traffic through this corridor is expected to increase by 30% over the next 10 years. The freight that is hauled within this corridor has a substantial market value and includes: grain products, household goods, retail merchandise, metal products, groceries, mail, and lumber. If I-90 is not expanded to accommodate growing freight and passenger traffic, congestion and other impacts will substantially reduce the transportation value of this critical corridor.
WSDOT has completed widening of I-90 from Sprague Avenue to Sullivan Road.
Preliminary design work from Barker Road to the Idaho State Line is underway. The Sullivan to Barker segment is under construction. Additional funding, which has not yet been allocated, will be needed in order construct future segments.
The End Result
This remaining projects will add two additional lanes (one general purpose lane in each direction) to I-90 from the Sullivan Road Interchange to the Idaho State Line. The project will be built in five major phases: Sullivan Rd. to Barker Rd. (under construction), Barker Rd Interchange to Harvard Rd. (Liberty Lake), Harvard Rd Interchange, Harvard Rd. to Idaho Road, and the Idaho Road Interchange.
• The project will improve traffic flow and reduce congestion. It will also address safety and wildlife crossing issues. There are currently four lanes. There will be six lanes when this project is completed.
What is the project timeline?
• Fall 1989, the "I-90/Four Lakes to Idaho State Line" Environmental Impact Statement was completed. This project is included within the limits of that study.
• The Sprague Avenue to Argonne Road construction project on I-90 was complete late Fall 2001.
• Construction from Argonne Road to Sullivan Road began in 2003 and was completed in 2005.
• Some Preliminary Engineering for the Barker to Harvard Road and Harvard Road to the Idaho State Line sections has started.
This project is funded from the following sources:
- Federal Funds - $10.5 million
- Total funding Available From All Sources - $10.5 million
- Unfunded Amount Remaining - $210 million
How can I get more information?
Darrel McCallum P.E.
WSDOT Project Office
2714 N. Mayfair
Spokane, WA 99207
Phone: (509) 323-8412
back to top