Bridging Futures is an annual collaborative project between the I-90 Wildlife Bridges Coalition and WSDOT that educates youth about safe wildlife passage along the I-90 wildlife corridor in Washington State.
Since 2006, Bridging Futures has facilitated student involvement in the I-90 Snoqualmie Pass East project, an effort to make I-90 safer for people and wildlife. In summer 2015, WSDOT will build I-90’s first wildlife bridge.
To celebrate this major achievement and to elicit public awareness and support, Bridging Futures is launching #ihearti90wildlife, a social media contest inviting students K-12 to illustrate the species waiting to cross the new wildlife bridge, share their art on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter, and be entered to win cool prizes. The contest will run from March 25 to May 11, 2015.
How to enter:
- Follow us on Instagram
- Like us on Facebook
- Choose one or more wildlife species indigenous to Snoqualmie Pass that the wildlife overcrossing is designed to accommodate.
- Illustrate the species you have chosen along with some reference to I-90. This can be in the form of a drawing, painting, collage, pastels, word art, etc.
- Take a photo of your art.
- Share your photo on Instagram with the hashtag #iHearti90Wildlife and post it on Facebook and/or Twitter.
- Participants can submit more than one photo.
- If a participant requests that we post their entry to Instagram and/or upload additional photos of them with their artwork to our social media pages, we require completion of a Liability Waiver signed by a parent or guardian.
- For classrooms or groups with younger participants, teachers are encouraged to create a classroom Instagram account and post students’ artwork there.
- We suggest that teachers and youth group leaders utilize the Liability Waiver as well if they do not have a standard form of their own.
- We will remove entries and images of individuals from our sites upon parental request.
- All communications should be sent to the contest coordinator, Aleah Jaeger at email@example.com.
Award categories and prizes:
- Awards will be given in 5 categories: (1) best group collection (i.e. classroom, family, friends, youth group), (2) best mammal or bird, (3) best amphibian, mollusk, or reptile, (4) most creative entry, and (5) people’s choice on Instagram.
- Prizes for individual awards include supplies and fuel for your next wild adventure including a GoPro HERO, custom #iHearti90Wildlife t-shirt, REI gift card, endangered species chocolate bars, and more.
- Prizes for the winning group collection include custom #iHearti90Wildlife t-shirts for all participants in the group (limit 40) as well as $500 to your choice of classroom, school, or youth oriented 501c3 non-profit organization to continue education and engagement for the next generation in creative efforts.
- Winners will be contacted within 3 weeks following the closing of the contest through the social media account that their entry was submitted through.
- A judging panel will select a winner for each category.
- The entry with the most “likes” and “favorites” will win People’s Choice.
- In addition to receiving prizes, winners will be invited to present their art at the groundbreaking event for the wildlife bridge in summer 2015.
- All entries will be incorporated into a collage art piece that we will present to decision makers and leaders present at the groundbreaking event this summer.