Yakima, Yakima County and the Washington State Department of Transportation have a funded plan to improve access to the Cascade Mill District to encourage economic growth.
Improve roadway infrastructure through the Cascade Mill District
Provide an alternate route to and from Terrace Heights
Increase capacity, replace bridges and improve access on and off I-82.
Why is WSDOT
proposing to widen I-82 in the Yakima Gateway vicinity?
Traffic volumes are increasing on I-82 through Yakima with heavy morning and evening peaks. Substantial traffic merges with I-82 at the US 12 interchange.
The End Result
- This project will widen I-82 in Yakima between the US 12 interchange and the Yakima Avenue interchange by constructing a third lane in each direction.
- Modifications to I-82 on- and off-ramps will improve connections to city streets in the Yakima Gateway vicinity.
- Freeway curves will be straightened for improved safety.
- This project includes replacing underpass bridges at the Boise Mill property and at the Columbia Basin Railroad crossing.
- Additional lanes and improved connections will reduce congestion and reduce the risk of collisions.
- Improved access to the interstate corridor is crucial to ensure enhanced economic vitality for this area.
What is the project timeline?
- This project is in the planning/preliminary design stage.
- New revenue is needed to complete the design, right of way acquisition and construction of these important improvements.
- Approval from the federal highway administration is also required to complete these improvements.
|Financial Data for PIN 508208O
||Amount ($ in thousands)
|2003 Gas Tax (Nickel Funding)
|2005 Gas Tax (TPA)
|Pre-Existing Funds (PEF)
The cost estimate for this project is in the range of $45-$55 million.
How can I get more information?
WSDOT project engineer
WSDOT South Central Project Office
2809 Rudkin Rd.
Union Gap, WA 98903
back to top