- Yakima, Yakima County and the Washington State Department of Transportation have a funded plan to improve access to the Cascade Mill District to encourage economic growth.
Improve roadway infrastructure through the Cascade Mill District
- Yakima County
Provide an alternate route to and from Terrace Heights
Increase capacity and improve access on and off I-82.
Why is WSDOT
proposing to widen I-82 in the Yakima Gateway vicinity?
Traffic volumes are increasing on I-82 through Yakima with heavy morning and evening peaks. Substantial traffic merges with I-82 at the US 12 interchange.
The End Result
- This project adds a third lane in each direction on I-82 in Yakima between the US 12 interchange and the Yakima Avenue interchange.
- This project includes replacing underpass bridges at the Boise Mill property and at the Columbia Basin Railroad crossing.
- Additional lanes will reduce congestion and reduce the risk of collisions.
- Improved access to the interstate corridor is crucial to ensure enhanced economic vitality for this area.
What is the project timeline?
- This project is in the planning/preliminary design stage.
- New revenue is needed to complete the design, right of way acquisition and construction of these important improvements.
- Approval from the federal highway administration is also required to complete these improvements.
|Financial Data for PIN 508208O
||Amount ($ in thousands)
|2003 Gas Tax (Nickel Funding)
|2005 Gas Tax (TPA)
|Pre-Existing Funds (PEF)
The cost estimate for this project is in the range of $45-$55 million.
How can I get more information?
WSDOT project engineer
WSDOT South Central Project Office
2809 Rudkin Rd.
Union Gap, WA 98903
back to top