The South Union Gap Interchange will provide full access in all directions on I-82 and US 97. View larger map
- The 2015 Connecting Washington Transportation Revenue Package fully funds this project.
- The project currently is in design focusing on right-of-way boundaries and preliminary site design.
- Construction is scheduled to begin in 2019 and last approximately 2 years.
Why is WSDOT
Improving this interchange?
Currently, the South Union Gap interchange provides access to Union Gap from northbound US 97 and I-82 westbound. Traffic leaving Union Gap only has access to southbound US 97 and eastbound I-82. By constructing two additional ramps to complete the interchange, there will be access to and from Union Gap from I-82 and US 97 from all directions which will allow traffic in South Union Gap to access I-82 without having to travel north through town and access I-82 at Valley Mall Blvd.
The End Result
When complete, the South Union Gap Interchange will provide full access in all directions on I-82 and US 97. This will reduce the amount of traffic at the I-82 Valley Mall Blvd. interchange and promote economic growth and development for the cities of Union Gap and Yakima.
- Economic Vitality. Local community and business leaders targeted improving this interchange and the Valley Mall Blvd. interchange as top priorities for economic growth and vitality. Improved freeway access will open up new areas for development and ease congestion in Union Gap at the I-82 Valley Mall Interchange.
- Safety. Improving capacity for the interchanges and providing more efficient connections to the local road system will improve traffic flow, reduce conflicts, and improve safety for this busy area.
What is the project timeline?
Construction is scheduled to begin in early 2019.
Funded by the 2015 Connecting Washington revenue package
How can I get more information?
WSDOT Project Engineer
South Central Project Office
2809 Rudkin Rd.
Union Gap, WA 98903
back to top