Winter 2015 / 2016
- Phase 1 construction starts December 2015! - Improves the intersection at SR 224 and SR 225 by eliminating two stop signs and building a roundabout.
- Check for weekly construction impacts in Benton City.
- Phase 2 improves access to the interstate with a new interchange on I-82 and a new connection to SR 224, east of Benton City.
Why is WSDOT
proposing improvements for I-82 and SR 224 near Benton City?
Transportation improvements proposed for the existing Benton City interchange and SR 224 will not only address traffic congestion and safety issues, but will result in a dramatic increase to commercial and industrial development, improving the local economy and increasing revenue to the state.
The End Result
- Phase 1- improves the SR 224/225 intersection by eliminating two stop signs and building a roundabout. The I-82 interchange at Benton City serves most of the city's commercial activity, the Red Mountain American Viticultural Area (AVA), West Richland and rural areas of Benton County.
- Phase 2 - provides a new I-82 interchange and improved connection to SR 224, east of Benton City. The proposed connection and interchange provide direct interstate access to and from developments in West Richland while improving emergency response times to the entire area.
- Increased safety. The proposed roundabout will reduce the risk of collisions at the SR 224/SR225 intersection and at the I-82 interchange on- and off-ramps. These improvements are estimated to improve emergency response time by up to 50%.
- Relieved congestion: The roundabout will improve traffic flow and eliminate back-ups for drivers entering and exiting I-82 at Benton City.
- Economic vitality. Constructing a new interchange provides the infrastructure needed for commercial and industrial development and provides the only direct link from the interstate to West Richland.
- Health/Environment. Roundabouts reduce vehicle emissions and fuel consumption by improving traffc flow efficiency.
What is the project timeline?
Phase 1 - SR 224/SR 225 Intersection - Construction starts December 2015.
Phase 2 - SR 224 to Red Mountain / West Richland Interchange
Construction planned spring 2019.
The total preliminary cost estimate for both phases of this project is $30 million.
Phase 1 - $4.5 million
Phase 2 - $25.5 million
Total $30 million
How can I get more information?
WSDOT assistant regional administrator for planning and program management
WSDOT South Central Project Office
2809 Rudkin Rd.
Union Gap, WA 98903
back to top