- At 10 p.m. Sunday, July 20, and Monday July 21, crews will close the Tumwater Boulevard on-ramp to northbound I-5 in Tumwater. The on-ramp will reopen by 5 a.m. each following day. Drivers will also encounter overnight single- and double-lane closures on northbound I-5 from Tumwater Blvd. at milepost 101.2 to Exit 102 at milepost 102.5.
- Single lane closures will take place Sunday, July 20, night starting at 8 p.m. and at 7 p.m. on other nights. The double lane closures will take place between the hours of 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. Sunday, July 20, through Friday, July 25.
- This project makes necessary repairs to a bridge expansion joint on Interstate 5 near Capitol Lake in Olympia. The bridge joint repair will require two high impact weekends that will include daytime lane closures. Those weekends have tentatively been scheduled for early September after Labor Day weekend.
- This project also will grind down the old pavement, repair damaged areas and resurface segments of Interstate 5 between Tumwater and Lakewood. The total area that will be paved is more than 13.6 miles. The work will resurface the right and center lanes in those segments.
- Crews will repave the on- and off-ramps at Tumwater Boulevard in Tumwater, and Center Drive in DuPont.
- The project was awarded to Tucci & Sons, Inc. May, 21 2014.
Why is WSDOT
repaving segments of Interstate 5 between Tumwater and Lakewood?
Sections of pavement along this portion of Interstate 5 are wearing down after years of heavy traffic. It's showing signs of deterioration and rutting, and needs to be resurfaced. A new surface will help reduce annual maintenance, repair costs and keep the freeway open for daily drivers and freight haulers.
The End Result
This project will extend the useful life of the pavement and improve safety for the approximately 144,000 drivers who use this stretch of Interstate 5 on a daily basis.
This project will extend the useful life of the pavement for approximately 20 years.
What is the project timeline?
Fall/Winter 2013: Project was designed.
April 2014: Project advertised for competitive bid.
July 2014: Estimated start date.
Fall 2014: Completion
This project is funded from the following Source:
| Financial Data for PIN 300599L|
||Amount ($ in thousands)|
|2003 Gas Tax (Nickel Funding)
|2005 Gas Tax (TPA)
|Pre-Existing Funds (PEF)
How can I get more information?
Claudia Bingham Baker
back to top