- Contractor Geronimo Painting Company is installing a containment system of cables and tarps around the structure to keep debris from falling into the Lewis River.
This project cleans and paints the steel on the I-5 bridges over the North Fork Lewis River to help preserve and protect the structures. The bridges are located just south of Woodland near the Clark/Cowlitz county line.
Paint, rust and other debris will be contained during construction to protect the environment.
Why is WSDOT
painting these bridges?
Like a home, steel bridges have to be painted on a regular basis to protect them from the elements.
The southbound bridge was built in 1940, and the northbound bridge was built in 1968. The bridges have been painted multiple times over the years. The last painting project was in 1990.
Stripping rust and reapplying specialty bridge paint will protect the structures for approximately 20 years.
The End Result
The steel structure above and below the roadway will be protected from damage by the elements, helping keep the bridges serviceable into the future.
- Preservation: Helps prevent future corrosion and preserves the bridge’s structural integrity.
- Economic: Preserves a vital I-5 transportation connection, allowing it to continue handling commuter and freight traffic for years to come.
What is the project timeline?
- Winter 2011/2012: Preliminary design and environmental documentation began.
- Spring 2013: Project advertised to contractors.
- July 2013: Project awarded to Geronimo Painting Company of Lisbon, Ohio.
- October 2013: Construction began.
- Fall 2016: Construction scheduled for completion.
|Financial Data for PIN 400512B, 400512P
||Amount ($ in thousands)
|2003 Gas Tax (Nickel Funding)
|2005 Gas Tax (TPA)
|Pre-Existing Funds (PEF)
Project signage will reflect the cost of construction engineering, project bid award and sales tax.
How can I get more information?
Area Engineer Lori Figone
WSDOT Kelso Area Engineering Office
2400 Talley Way
Kelso, WA 98626
Phone: 360-442-1341, or toll free 1-800-545-1393
11018 NE 51st Circle
Vancouver, WA 98682
back to top