- Contractor crews will continue wrapping up this project and have several ramp and lane closures planned for the week of May 15, including the full closure of northbound I-5 at the Skagit River Bridge.
- Project is scheduled to be completed by July.
- This project was awarded to Granite Construction.
- Sign up for email updates about this project and other state roadwork in Skagit County.
In spring 2016, WSDOT repaved a 12-mile stretch of northbound I-5 from a mile south of Pioneer Highway/SR 534 near Conway to north of the Chuckanut Drive/State Route 11 exit in Burlington. The project also included repaving almost 7 miles of southbound I-5 from Cameron Way in Mount Vernon to just south of Pioneer Highway/SR 534. Contractor crews will return in May 2017 to finish repaving all seven on- and off-ramps in this section of I-5, as well as some remaining portions of the highway.
Why is WSDOT
repaving I-5 between the Conway area and Burlington?
This stretch of highway was last paved almost 20 years ago, and the road is in disrepair. There are cracks and ruts in many places along the highway that can lead to potholes. The project will extend the life of the highway and provide a smoother ride for the 73,000 vehicles that travel through this area every day.
The End Result
This project will improve the ride quality of the highway and extend the life of the roadway. It also will reduce the need for emergency closures and costly repairs.
• Preserves infrastructure and extends the life of the highway.
• Reduces the need for costly emergency maintenance repairs and unexpected closures.
What is the project timeline?
February 2016: Advertised for competitive bidding.
Spring 2016: Granite Construction selected as contractor.
June 2016: Construction started.
Fall 2016: Crews worked around wet weather to install temporary striping and rumble strips.
April/May 2017: Final work on project will be completed.
|Financial Data for PIN 100560E, 100560F
||Amount ($ in thousands)
|2003 Gas Tax (Nickel Funding)
|2005 Gas Tax (TPA)
|Pre-Existing Funds (PEF)
How can I get more information?
15700 Dayton Avenue N.
Shoreline, WA 98133
Andrea E. Petrich
1043 Goldenrod Rd. Suite 101
Burlington, WA 98233
back to top