- Construction work is scheduled to begin in mid-June.
- Drivers should anticipate up to 41 weeknight closures of multiple lanes of northbound I-5 from south of S.E. 8th Street to SR 520. There will also be nightly ramp closures.
- Two around-the-clock weekend closures of northbound I-405 are scheduled for July 12-15 and Aug. 9 - 12. These closures are weather-dependent.
- The contractor will also improve the pavement on both directions of SR 518 between I-5 and SeaTac Airport.
- Project documents are available on WSDOT's Ad and Award site.
In this project crews will completely replace concrete pavement on all four lanes of northbound I-405 from SE 8th Street to just north of Main Street in Bellevue. Crews will grind the existing pavement across all lanes and replace failing concrete panels on a section of northbound I-405 just south of SE 8th Street and from Main Street to SR 520.
Why is WSDOT
improving northbound I-405 pavement in Bellevue.
The pavement in this section of northbound I-405 is 40 to 50 years old and showing its age. All the telltale signs of failing pavement are on display - cracks and bumps, ruts and what pavement engineers call spalling. Spalling means the pavement is flaking, chipping or crumbling apart. However you might describe it, the pavement is failing faster than maintenance crews can repair it and it's time for a fix that lasts.
The End Result
When construction is done drivers will experience a smoother ride with improved traction. Extending the life of the pavement also frees up WSDOT crews to work on other essential repair and maintenance tasks.
- Smoother ride with better traction and new striping.
- Extends the lifespan of the existing freeway pavement.
- Reduces the likelihood of emergency closures for pavement repairs and frees up crews to do other work.
What is the project timeline?
- Feb. 7, 2013 - apparent best value bids from contractors opened.
- Feb. 12, 2013 - Project awarded to Guy F. Atkinson Construction, LLC
- June 2013 - Start construction.
- Fall 2013 - Complete project.
|Financial Data for PIN 140540M
||Amount ($ in thousands)
|2003 Gas Tax (Nickel Funding)
|2005 Gas Tax (TPA)
|Pre-Existing Funds (PEF)
How can I get more information?
WSDOT project engineer
back to top