Construction began May 11 and was complete July 31, 2009.
The SR 20 Roadside Safety Improvements project was combined with the Seal to cut costs and reduce traffic impacts during construction.
The preservation portion of the project resurfaced 85 miles of 3 state highways and 3 miles of city streets in 3 towns in Okanogan County.
- 15 miles of SR-20 in Okanogan County from Winthrop Westward.
- 6 miles of SR-20 in Okanogan County from Okanogan Southward.
- 8 Miles of SR-20 in Okanogan County 5 miles east of Tonasket.
- 23 miles of SR-153 in Okanogan County from Methow Northward.
- 33 miles of SR-155 in Okanogan County from Coulee Dam Westward.
The Collision Prevention-Safety Improvement portion of the project installed guardrail where needed and removed roadside hazards along SR 20 between Mazama and Aeneas Valley, east of Tonasket in Okanogan County.
-Providing a higher level of protection for errant drivers with new guardrail.
-Reducing potential collisions by removing roadside hazards.
-Providing an anti-glare driving surface when wet and increasing striping and road sign reflectivity at night.
Partnerships & Cooperation
The Colville Tribes were consulted throughout the project as part of it lies within the Colville Tribal Reservation Boundaries. (The Tribal Employment Rights Ordinances (TERO) applied.)
To save money for the Town of Coulee Dam, chip sealing of 11th Street, 12th Street, Central Drive and Tilmus Street was incorporated into this project. For the Town of Elmer City, chip sealing of Front Street was included and for the Town of Nespelem, chip sealing of B Street, C Street, D Street, F Street, 4th Street, 5th Street, 8th Street, 9th Street and 10th Street was done in conjunction with the work on SR-155.
This project was advertised for private contractor bids December 15th, 2008. Two qualified bids were opened January 15th, 2009 and on January 20th contract #7654 was awarded to Central Washington Asphalt, Inc. for $5,732,952.50, $400,000 (6% under the engineering estimate).
This project was funded through the following sources:
· Pre-Existing Gas Tax - $6.3 million
· Transportation Improvement Board - $0.2 million
· 2005 TPA Funding - $0.9 million
· Total Funding from all sources - $7.4 million
Project Engineer Ken Olson
WSDOT Eastern Region Project Office
2714 North Mayfair Street
Spokane, WA 99207-2090
back to top