Get Our Mobile App
Thursday, August 28, 2014
Travis Phelps, WSDOT communications, 206-440-4698
Harmony Haveman Weinberg, WSDOT communications, 206-440-4475
OSO – The Washington State Department of Transportation and its contractor, Atkinson Construction, have listened to community concerns and rescheduled the Wednesday, Sept. 3, State Route 530 detour to avoid affecting traffic on the first day of school.
Contractor crews now plan to detour SR 530 traffic to the Seattle City Light access road for one full weekend starting at 9 p.m. Friday, Sept. 5. The closure will allow for the installation of a 19 foot-wide, by 50 foot-long concrete culvert underneath the new roadway to help manage water from a stream headed to the Stillaguamish River. Contractor crews will also continue work on building the new, elevated west section of the highway.
“Scheduling the detours to rebuild SR 530 is a balancing act for everyone involved,” said WSDOT Regional Administrator Lorena Eng. “We strive to take into account the needs of the community, drivers and the contractor with the goal of completing the project before the fall weather sets in.”
Currently scheduled SR 530 detours
- 9 p.m. Friday, Sept. 5 to 4 a.m. Monday, Sept. 8.
- 9 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 9 to 4 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 11.
- Scheduled detours may be cancelled because of weather and construction schedule changes.
The majority of the work to reconstruct SR 530 is expected to be completed by early October. The project is being built with $28.1 million of Federal Emergency Relief funding.
During the second week of September, WSDOT and Snohomish County will host the last community meetings before the reconstruction of SR 530 is completed. Project staff will provide an update on their progress and answer questions from the public.
- When: 7 to 9 p.m. Monday, Sept. 8
- Where: Darrington Community Center Dining Hall, 570 Sauk Ave., Darrington, WA 98241
- When: 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 10
- Where: Stillaguamish Senior Center, 18308 Smokey Point Blvd., Arlington, WA 98223
- When: 7 to 9 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 11
- Where: Oso Community Chapel, 22318 Washington 530, Arlington, WA 98223
Rules of the Seattle City Light access road
Traffic on the Seattle City Light road will operate on a one-way, piloted basis around the clock. Pilot cars will escort drivers westbound at the top of each hour and eastbound on the half hour.
- The speed limit is 10 mph, and stops along the road are not permitted.
- Logging trucks are permitted around the clock
- Vehicles over 105,500 pounds are not permitted.
- Trailers up to 24 feet, including horse trailers, and dump pup trucks are allowed.
- RVs and school buses are allowed.
- Semi-trucks up to WB 40 are allowed.
- Drivers should be able to negotiate their vehicles over steep grades of up to 18%.
- Drivers are encouraged to arrive early.
- Local access will be provided to residents within the work zone.
< Go Back