Get Our Mobile App
Tuesday, July 08, 2014
Contact: Ian Sterling, WSDOT communications, 206-819-7230
UPDATE: Change to third bullet under "New transit stop to open." ADA-accessibility is pending final elevator permit. (7/10/14)
Second new Eastside transit stop to open Monday, July 14
SEATTLE – Anyone who wishes travel across Lake Washington this weekend should prepare for a full closure of State Route 520 between Montlake Boulevard and Interstate 405. Beginning Friday night, July 11, all SR 520 lanes across Lake Washington will be shut down in both directions for a weekend-long closure.
Contractor crews working for the Washington State Department of Transportation will use the closure to continue to pour concrete – up to 67 truckloads – for the road deck of the new West Connection Bridge. SR 520 Eastside Transit and HOV Project crews will also be hard at work over the weekend as they place more asphalt – up to 10,000 tons more – for the new eastbound lanes of SR 520 east of the floating bridge.
“We know these closures have been difficult for drivers and we want to thank them for their patience,” said SR 520 Program Director Julie Meredith. “The work done on these weekends is critical for construction on the Eastside. We also continue to forge ahead with work on the new floating bridge that will open to drivers in 2016 and replace a more than 50-year-old structure that’s vulnerable to high winds and earthquakes.”
- Crews will close all lanes of SR 520 from Montlake Boulevard to I-405 at 11 p.m. Friday, July 11.
- Drivers crossing Lake Washington – including participants in the Group Health Seattle to Portland Bicycle Classic – should plan to use I-90 or an alternate route around the lake.
- The highway will reopen by 5 a.m. Monday, July 14.
New transit stop to open:
- The new 92nd Avenue Northeast median transit stop will open to riders on Monday, July 14 at 5 a.m.
- The stop will not be ADA-accessible until the contractor receives a final elevator permit in the coming days.
- The temporary transit shuttle between Evergreen Point Road and 92nd Avenue Northeast will be discontinued Monday when the new 92nd Avenue Northeast stop opens to riders.
- Crews will also open new direct-access ramps for buses at 108th Avenue Northeast to serve the busy South Kirkland Park and Ride. These will be open to buses only until the new HOV lanes open later this year.
WSDOT posts information about construction closures and nighttime work on the SR 520 Orange Page, the interactive construction and driver planning tool for the SR 520 program. The SR 520 website also provides information on the SR 520 Bridge Replacement and HOV Program.
< Go Back