Get Our Mobile App
Monday, July 23, 2012
Travis Phelps, Alaskan Way Viaduct Replacement Program, 206-462-0554 (cell)
KaDeena Yerkan, Alaskan Way Viaduct Replacement Program, 206-805-2846 (Seattle), 206-795-1876 (cell)
SEATTLE – This weekend’s Seafair fun combined with construction closures, including the State Route 99 Alaskan Way Viaduct, could mean traffic delays and downtown reroutes for Metro buses.
Closures on SR 99 start Saturday evening, when all northbound lanes close between the West Seattle Bridge and the Battery Street Tunnel for the Seafair Torchlight Run. SR 99 lanes north of the stadiums will reopen after the run, but the northbound lanes south of the stadiums will remain closed until Monday morning. Crews need the time to continue work on the second of two side-by-side bridges that will replace the south end of the viaduct.
“To connect the two bridges we need to fill a gap that’s about 2 feet wide and 700 feet long,” said Matt Preedy, Alaskan Way Viaduct Replacement Program deputy administrator for the Washington State Department of Transportation. “We need to keep traffic off of the northbound lanes because the vehicles cause too much vibration for the concrete to cure properly.”
But that’s not all. On Sunday evening, crews will close southbound SR 99 overnight starting just north of the Battery Street Tunnel to the West Seattle Bridge to continue reinforcing a two-block section of the viaduct above the route of the future SR 99 tunnel.
WSDOT recommends drivers to map out routes in advance, allow extra time and prepare for more congestion than usual.
Construction closure and event details:
Saturday, July 28
- The Seafair Torchlight Run will close northbound SR 99 between the West Seattle Bridge and the Battery Street Tunnel at 5:30 p.m. Saturday, July 28. Once the run is complete, northbound SR 99 between South Royal Brougham Way and the Battery Street Tunnel will reopen.
- Northbound SR 99 between the West Seattle Bridge and South Royal Brougham Way will remain closed until 5 a.m. Monday, July 30, for construction.
- The Seafair Torchlight Parade begins at 7:30 p.m. along several downtown streets.
Sunday, July 29
- Northbound SR 99 between the West Seattle Bridge and South Royal Brougham Way remains closed until 5 a.m. Monday, July 30.
- Southbound SR 99 will close between the Battery Street Tunnel and West Seattle Bridge from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. for viaduct reinforcement work.
- The Seattle Mariners host the Kansas City Royals at Safeco Field at 1:10 p.m.
Up-to-the-minute traffic information is available at www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic and on the WSDOT’s voice-activated driver information line, 5-1-1.
For more information on the Alaskan Way Viaduct Replacement Program, visit http://www.alaskanwayviaduct.org/.
Information about Metro routes affected by these closures is available at www.kingcounty.gov/metro or call 206-553-3000.
< Go Back