Get Our Mobile App
Monday, May 21, 2012
Jeff Switzer , WSDOT SR 520 Communications, 206-770-3547 (Seattle)
Crews will install overhead utilities
SEATTLE – Late-night drivers who cross Lake Washington should plan ahead for nighttime construction closures between Seattle and the Eastside on the State Route 520 bridge. Crews installing overhead utilities will close one direction of the highway at a time May 22, 23 and 30 between Montlake Boulevard in Seattle and 92nd Avenue Northeast on the Eastside.
Drivers will need to find another way across or around Lake Washington as crews hang utility pipes and conduit beneath the new 84th Avenue Northeast lidded overpass. While the highway is closed, crews also will install lighting beneath the new Evergreen Point Road lid and complete other work that is part of a project to build lidded overpasses and widen the highway to six lanes on the Eastside.
"We must close the road to do the work safely,” said Brian Dobbins, construction engineer for the Washington State Department of Transportation’s SR 520 Eastside Transit and HOV Project. “Hanging utilities under the lid now will help us keep this fast-paced project on schedule.”
SR 520 closure details at a glance
- Tuesday, May 22: Eastbound SR 520 and all connected ramps between Montlake Boulevard in Seattle and 92nd Avenue Northeast in Yarrow Point will be closed from 11 p.m. Tuesday to 5 a.m. Wednesday.
- Wednesday, May 23: Eastbound SR 520 and all connected ramps between Montlake Boulevard in Seattle and 92nd Avenue Northeast in Yarrow Point will be closed from 11 p.m. Wednesday to 5 a.m. Thursday.
- Wednesday, May 30: Westbound SR 520 and all connected ramps between 92nd Avenue Northeast in Clyde Hill and Montlake Boulevard in Seattle will be closed from 11 p.m. Wednesday to 5 a.m. Thursday.
Reminder: The next full weekend closure will occur June 1-4 when crews close all lanes and ramps between Montlake Boulevard and I-405. During this closure, crews will demolish the existing 92nd Avenue Northeast overpass, remove the last standing piece of the old Evergreen Point Road overpass and swing 34 girders into place for the new Evergreen Point lidded overpass.
SR 520 Eastside project overview
The Eastside Transit and HOV Project is widening SR 520 to six lanes between Medina and Bellevue. Crews are rebuilding interchanges, constructing highway lids and bus stops in the center of the highway, and installing fish-friendly culverts. In 2010, WSDOT awarded a $306 million design-build contract to Eastside Corridor Constructors, a joint venture of Granite Construction Company and PCL Construction Services. The completed Medina to Bellevue corridor is scheduled to open to traffic in December 2013.
Tools for drivers
• Seattle area traffic: www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/seattle
• Traffic cameras: www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic
• Travel alerts: www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/trafficalerts
• Traffic products for your mobile phone and other wireless devices: www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/seattle/products
• Follow WSDOT on Twitter: @wsdot and @wsdot_traffic for Puget Sound traffic.
• Call 511 for traffic updates.
• Tune to highway advisory radio and watch electronic highway signs for information.
More information about the SR 520 Eastside project is online at www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/SR520Bridge/MedinaTo202.
< Go Back