Get Our Mobile App
Friday, February 24, 2012
Mike Murphy, WSDOT Communications, 206-440-4699
FEDERAL WAY – The last of three total nighttime closures of I-5 in Federal Way begins this Friday night.
Crews working for the Washington State Department of Transportation are installing steel girders for two new flyover ramps at the I-5/SR 18 interchange. The work will require nighttime closures as cranes lift the large bridge girders over the highway.
This weekend’s closures are as follows:
- Friday, Feb. 24 to the morning of Saturday, Feb. 25 - Crews will close all lanes of southbound I-5 and two lanes of northbound I-5 at SR 18. Lanes will begin closing at 9 p.m., with all lanes closed at 11 p.m. All lanes will reopen by 7 a.m. Saturday.
- Southbound I-5 detour: Drivers will follow a five-mile detour along Highway 99 to 54th Avenue E. in Fife to rejoin southbound I-5.
- Friday, Feb. 24 to the morning of Saturday, Feb. 25 - Crews will close the following ramps from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.:
- The westbound SR 18 off-ramp to southbound I-5.
- The southbound I-5 off-ramp to eastbound SR 18.
- Saturday, Feb. 25 to the morning of Sunday, Feb. 26 - Crews will close all lanes of northbound I-5 at SR 18. Lanes begin closing at 9 p.m., with all lanes closed at 11 p.m. All lanes will reopen by 7 a.m. Sunday.
- Northbound I-5 detour: Drivers will be detoured onto eastbound SR 18 to Weyerhaeuser Way, then to westbound SR 18 to rejoin northbound I-5.
- Saturday, Feb. 25 to the morning of Sunday, Feb. 26 - Crews will close the following ramps from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.:
- The eastbound SR 18 off-ramp to northbound I-5.
- The northbound I-5 off-ramp to westbound SR 18.
Please note: Partial nighttime closures of I-5 will continue next week. For more information, please visit: www.wsdot.wa.gov/Northwest/King/Construction/i5Construction.htm.
This work is part of a $112 million project to build two new flyover ramps – one between westbound SR 18 and southbound I-5, and the other between eastbound SR18 and northbound I-5. The ramps are expected to open by the end of this year. For more information on the project, go to: www.wsdot.wa.gov/projects/i5/sr18sr161ic.
< Go Back