Get Our Mobile App
Thursday, September 08, 2011
Vickie Sheehan , WSDOT Communications, 206-440-4473
SEATTLE – With a jam-packed schedule of highway construction closures, bridge inspections and big sporting events, drivers traveling through Seattle this weekend, Sept. 9 through 11, should plan ahead and be prepared. Whether you are making Seattle your destination or just passing through, the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) has the travel tools to get you where you’re going.
Drivers are encouraged to use alternate routes and check the WSDOT website before traveling this weekend. Many construction and maintenance projects are scheduled Friday, Sept. 9, through the morning of Monday, Sept. 12, with multiple lane and ramp closures occurring simultaneously on Interstate 5 at the Ship Canal Bridge and through downtown Seattle.
Traffic will be especially heavy Saturday, Sept. 10, as the University of Washington Huskies, Seattle Mariners and Seattle Sounders each have home games.
Planned lane and ramp closures:
- I-5: Ship Canal bridge inspections
Crews will close one lane of mainline I-5 Saturday and Sunday mornings.
- Saturday, Sept. 10: Crews will close the right lane of northbound I-5 across the Ship Canal Bridge from 5 to 11 a.m.
- Sunday, Sept. 11: Crews will close the right lane of southbound I-5 across the Ship Canal Bridge from 5 to 11 a.m.
- I-5: Active Traffic Management sign testing and maintenance
- Saturday, Sept. 10 – Sunday, Sept. 11: Crews will close all but one lane on northbound I-5 between SR 599 and I-90 from 11 p.m. Saturday to 7 a.m. Sunday.
- Mercer Street Corridor Project – Seattle Department of Transportation
- Friday, Sept. 9 – Monday, Sept. 12: The I-5 on- and off-ramps to and from Mercer Street, including the express lane ramps, will close around-the-clock from 11 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Monday. Drivers will follow a posted detour around the closures.
- Friday, Sept. 9 – Monday, Sept. 12: The on-ramp from University Street to northbound I-5 will be closed around-the-clock from 11 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Monday.
- I-90 express lanes:
- Saturday, Sept. 10 - The I-90 express lanes will open westbound from 8:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. to accommodate traffic headed to the Seattle Sounders and Seattle Mariners games. Lanes will open eastbound by 8:30 p.m.
- Sunday, Sept. 11 – The I-90 express lanes will be closed from 5 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. for the Escape from the Rock Triathlon. Lanes will open westbound after the closure.
Weekend sporting events
Drivers should plan ahead and allow extra time to reach their destination this weekend due to several events in Seattle that will draw tens of thousands of people.
- Friday, Sept. 9: Seattle Mariners vs. Kansas City Royals at Safeco Field at 7:10 p.m.
- Saturday, Sept. 10:
- University of Washington Huskies vs. Hawaii, 12:30 p.m.
- Seattle Sounders FC vs. Real Salt Lake at CenturyLink Field at 1 p.m.
- Seattle Mariners vs. Kansas City Royals at Safeco Field at 7:10 p.m.
- Sunday, Sept. 11: Seattle Mariners vs. Kansas City Royals at Safeco Field at 1:10 p.m.
WSDOT has several useful tools drivers can use to make the most of their trip:
- On the Web:
- On the road:
- Call 511 for the latest information on incidents and construction.
- Tune to highway advisory radio.
- Watch electronic highway signs for information.
Hyperlinks within this news release:
< Go Back