Get Our Mobile App
Friday, May 06, 2011
Patrick Conrad, WSDOT communications, 206-440-4473
Meagan McFadden, WSDOT communications, 509-577-1618 (Snoqualmie Pass)
SHORELINE– Drivers whose Mother’s Day plans include a trip to grandma’s house should plan for a full weekend of closures and sporting events in the Puget Sound area – as well delays crossing Snoqualmie Pass. The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) urges drivers to map out routes in advance, allow extra time and prepare for more congestion than usual.
The following construction closures and special events are scheduled for this weekend:
Interstate 5 Mercer Street ramp closures:
The city of Seattle will close the I- 5 on- and off-ramps to and from Mercer Street, including the express lane ramps, from 11 p.m. Friday, May 6, to 5 a.m. Monday, May 9, for work on the Mercer Corridor Project. Drivers will follow a posted detour around the closures. The on-ramp from University Street to northbound I-5 will also close.
More information is available on the city’s website: http://onthemove.seattle.gov/2011/05/02/mercer-corridor-ramps-on-and-off-i-5-may-6-9/
I-90 maintenance work:
WSDOT maintenance crews will close lanes and ramps on Saturday and Sunday near the I-90/I-405 interchange to replace overhead signs.
- Saturday, May 7 – The left lane of the eastbound I-90 collector distributor that connects drivers to both directions of I-405 will close from 5 to 10 a.m. One lane will remain open.
- Sunday, May 8 - The southbound Bellevue Way SE on-ramp to both directions of I-405 will close from 4 a.m. to noon.
Opening of boating season:
SR 513 (the Montlake Bridge) will close to all vehicle traffic from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, May 7. During the closure, nearly 900 boats will parade through the Montlake Cut as part of the ceremonies that signal the opening day of boating season.
WSDOT and city of Seattle crews will close:
- The Montlake Bridge to all vehicle and foot traffic from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- The westbound SR 520 off-ramp to Montlake Boulevard from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- The left turn lane of the eastbound SR 520 ramp to northbound Montlake Boulevard from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. One turn lane will remain open for local access only.
Downtown Seattle events:
- The Seattle Mariners have three home games this weekend: at 7:10 p.m. Friday, May 6, at 6:10 p.m. Saturday, May 7, and at 1:10 p.m. Sunday, May 8. Drivers should plan for extra congestion near the stadium.
I-90 traffic impacts east of Snoqualmie Pass:
- Drivers should once again plan to add at least one hour to their trips on I-90 between Easton (milepost 70) and the Cle Elum area (milepost 80). To avoid even longer delays, drivers should consider leaving early in the morning or later in the evening.
- 9 a.m. Friday, May 6, to 9 a.m. Sunday, May 8: both lanes of eastbound I-90 and one westbound lane will be open to traffic.
- 9 a.m. Sunday, May 8, to 6 a.m. Monday, May 9: both lanes of westbound I-90 and one eastbound lane will be open to traffic.
What should drivers do?
< Go Back