Riding your bike on the ferry
Bicycles are welcome aboard, and receive priority loading and unloading on most sailings. There is no additional fee to add a bike rack to your car.
Bicycles are not allowed inside the passenger cabin or in the exterior passenger-only areas of the ferry.
- Enter through the ferry terminal tollbooth plaza.
- Ride to the bicycle waiting area in front of the vehicles.
- Follow directions of WSF terminal and vessel crew.
- Lock your bicycle in designated areas on the ferry car deck.
- Arrive 20 minutes prior to departure time so we can load your bicycle onto the ferry before cars and trucks. Late arrivals will be loaded after vehicles.
How to pay your fare
Fares are collected in the westbound direction only, except for Port Townsend/Coupeville and Anacortes/Sidney, BC.
- Most routes charge a $1 bicycle surcharge.
- The bicycle surcharge is $2-$4 on the Anacortes/San Juan Islands route, depending on the time of year.
- No surcharge for bicyclists traveling with a multi-ride commuter card or pass or ORCA card on most routes.
WSF provides designated bicycle parking areas on the car deck of each ferry. We also provide bike racks at most of our terminals.
Will I pay more if I have a bicycle rack on top of or at the rear of my vehicle?
WSF does not charge a fee for bicycle, kayak or sports utility racks attached to the vehicle’s roof or rear bumper as long as the total length of the vehicle and utility rack is under 22 feet. WSF does charge an over height fee for roof racks that are attached to vehicles longer than 22 feet.
Our customer service representatives are available to assist you from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. seven days a week.
Phone: 206-464-6400, 1-888-808-7977 (toll-free, in state)
You can learn about Fares, Schedules, and how to get to your ferry terminal online.