WSDOT Ferries Division (WSF) is one of seven transit agencies participating in the region’s smart card passenger fare collection system. The card, called ORCA (One Regional Card for All) is a plastic reusable card containing a microprocessor chip, which stores pre-paid customer fare product information or an electronic purse (E-purse). Agencies involved in this program include King County Metro, Kitsap Transit, Community Transit, Pierce Transit, Everett Transit and Sound Transit.
Choosing whether to use an ORCA card or a Wave2Go ferry product (which uses bar code technology) will depend on how you travel and how you currently purchase your ticket or pass.
Any Ferry & Transit user (walk-on or passenger) You will need two separate monthly passes on your ORCA if you travel on both a transit system and WSF. Buy an ORCA PugetPass for your transit travel and WSF Monthly Passenger pass for your ferry service.
- Infrequent users who do not carry cash but would like E-purse
- Senior and disability customers who, if eligible, may receive a Regional Reduced Fare Permit ORCA card that will deduct your discounted passenger or vehicle fare from the e-purse as you travel.
- Senior and disability customers who previously used the discontinued convenience passenger multi-ride product. Passenger and vehicle fares will be deducted from your ORCA E-purse when you travel.
- Passengers using the downtown corridor may want an ORCA card. Beginning September 29th, the Free Ride Area will be eliminated. E-purse on your ORCA card would cover a bus ride from Colman Dock.
* New feature for ORCA E-purse at WSF – Previously E-purse was a valid form of payment for passenger fares only. You may now purchase any Wave2Go fare or product with E-purse. This includes vehicle fares, passenger fares, any required surcharges, and Wave2Go Multi-rides.
If you choose to purchase discounted multi-ride products you will be issued a Wave2Go ticket with barcode technology. (Multi-ride products cannot be loaded on the ORCA card). If you use E-purse for fare redemption you will be charged the full fare based on the ORCA card type – adult, senior, disabled or youth. (Please note: there is no youth car and driver fare available).
- Vehicle/driver and Passenger Multi-ride products available at a discount
- Revalue Program (required for Premier Status in VRS)
- Wave2Go products available online, at tollbooth, and kiosk
- Wave2Go products may be purchased with ORCA E-purse
- Infrequent user
- Business accounts
- Vanpools and carpools (Customers who would like the ability to use a photocopy of their fare media should use bar-coded Wave2Go rather than smartcard ORCA, which requires presentation of the original ORCA card at time of payment. )
Either ORCA or Wave2Go
- WSF monthly pass: If you currently only use a WSF monthly pass and don’t ride another transit provider, then either the Wave2Go or ORCA card will work for you.
- Vehicle Passengers can determine which fare system works for them, including Vanpool & Carpool passengers. (Vehicle/driver fares will remain in Wave2Go as well as the annual WSF HOV permit.)
Points To Consider
- Your E-purse may be used to purchase any WSF fare (passenger, vehicle, surcharge, multi-ride product)
- To acquire a Senior or Disabled Regional Reduced Fare Permit or a Youth ORCA card, you must go to an ORCA Customer Service Office CSO to prove eligibility and receive your card.
- E-purse does not work in the galley, vending machines or with any other WSF vendor.
- WSF tollbooths and passenger booths cannot add value to an ORCA card. Customers can add value online at www.orcacard.com; at transit Customer Service offices, at designated local retailers and through the ORCA call center at 1-888-988-6722.
- You can register your ORCA card so that in case your card is lost/stolen, your purchased products and E-purse will be protected.
Tap and hold your ORCA card at the tollbooth or turnstile, or on the handheld reader prior to boarding the ferry to pay for your fare. If your card is loaded with an E-purse, the cost of the trip will be deducted from the transportation value in your E-purse. If you have a regional pass or agency pass valid for the ferry service, the reader will recognize your pass as valid fare payment.
Go to www.orcacard.com
Stay with Wave2Go