Who We Are
The Hazardous Materials (HazMat) Program is one of many programs under WSDOT's Environmental Services Office. We help projects minimize construction schedule delays and increased costs by identifying contaminated sites early and implementing mitigation measures. When contamination is unexpectedly encountered, we help projects properly manage hazardous materials to ensure construction does not spread or contribute to existing contamination.
What We Do
To reduce schedule delays, manage costs and prevent spreading contamination to the environment, the HazMat Program does the following:
- Conduct early hazardous materials investigations to identify known or suspected contaminated sites in order to avoid or minimize potential environmental and construction impacts.
- Provide statewide services to regional environmental, project and real estate offices to facilitate regulatory compliance with complicated and stringent environmental regulations that pertain to proper handling, disposal and cleanup of hazardous materials.
- Provide guidance in Chapter 447 (pdf 769 kb) and Chapter 620.08 (pdf 795 kb) of the Environmental Procedures Manual.
- Manages On-call environmental consultants who provide a variety of services when in-house resources are not available.
- Coordinate the use of WSDOT mandatory General Administration (GA) State Contracts for the Disposal of Contaminated Solid and Liquid Waste (Contract 00301 - currently expired and expected to be reissued in 2009) Hazardous Waste handling and Disposal Services (Contract 03505), Environmental Drilling Services (Contract 11403), and Environmental Analytical Laboratory Services (01807).
- Help manage solid waste by recognizing recycling opportunities that avoids costly landfill disposal and considers options for the reuse of demolition debris and building materials.
Highways & Local Program