The following items should be included in the reference section of the final Biological Assessment (BA) or Biological Evaluation (BE):
- All literature citations
- All website citations with URL information
- All personal communication citations.
These reference listings should be detailed enough to enable readers to trace the information source, including author, year of publication, title, volume, publisher, city, and state. Some publications require additional information, such as edition, document series and number, sponsoring agency, program, and inclusive page numbers.
Citations for material obtained online should include the author or agency, date of publication (if evident), title or description of the information, date obtained from the internet, and internet address (URL).
Listings for personal communications should include the names of the persons providing and receiving the information, their affiliations, the nature of the communication (e.g., letter, telephone conversation, meeting, email message, or fax) and the day, month, and year of the communication.
This website provides a selection of online resources and standard references (pdf 179 kb) used in preparing BAs.
Some informational resources may contain details on sensitive information that should not be included in a public document (e.g., nest site locations, congregation areas, or redd sites). The following resources should not be included in any section of the final BA or BE if they contain sensitive information:
- Priority habitat and species maps
- Site-specific resource maps
- Tabular data or survey results.
The following items should be included in the appendices of the final BA or BE:
- WSDOT fish removal protocols and standards (pdf 111 kb)
- Species lists or letters from USFWS and NOAA Fisheries and the Washington Natural Heritage Program
- Biology of listed species
- General species life history and habitat requirement information
- Candidate species information
- Occurrence of candidate species in project action area
- Effects analysis (candidate species)
- Effect determinations (candidate species)
- Essential fish habitat assessment
- Environmental baseline for freshwater aquatic habitats
- Photographs with photographic log describing picture content
- Simple project plans
- Survey method, protocols, or results if applicable
- The hydraulic project approval (HPA) from WDFW, if available; (if an HPA is referenced in the BA (e.g., construction of the culvert will adhere to the conditions set in the HPA), the HPA must be provided as an appendix to the BA so that the Services can understand those conditions; if no HPA is available, do not reference it)
- Hydraulic report (optional).