Looking for the Design Manual in effect right now?
The most current WSDOT Design Manual is dated July 2014 and is available on the Design Manual Abstract Page:
The process for revising the Design Manual is given below.
Design Manual revisions for publication late July 2014 are shown in table below:
These projects below are now complete and published at the link above. This site will be updated as we plan for the next priority policy revisions for July 2015.
|Chapter ||Revision Lead |
|DM 320 Traffic Analysis. Peer Team established to update policy and guidance, perhaps including all modes.
Work underway as of December 2013.
HQ Traffic, HQ Design & Regions
|DM 550 IJRs - this chapter will be modified along with DM 320 listed above.
||Barb de ste Croix leads|
|New Chapter 1150 Context and Modally Integrated Design: Main Steets
||Andrew Beagle |
HQ Design & Peer Team
|DM 1010 Work Zone Safety & Mobility
|DM 1140.07 & 1130.02 - incorporate Project Delivery Memo on design speed (minor changes)
|DM 730 and 1515 minor revs re: chain link fence
|DM 1050 Intelligent Transportation Systems
|DM 1300 revised sections
||Andrew Beagle & HQ Traffic|
|DM 1430 Transit Facilities - delayed (not part of July package)
|DM 321 Sustainable Highway Safety (New)
A staged approach:
2014 - develop incremental changes in the Design Manual, including plans for a new chapter on the topic.
2015 and beyond: Full implementation in DM; determine chapter placements.
|DM 301 Design and Maintenance Coordination Best Practices. (New chapter), draft review planned for late May or June
||Andrew Beagle & Region Maint. Superintendents|
|Sections of chapters 1330, 1510, 1515 related to closed pedestrian crossings and removing design deviation for midblock crossings
||HQ Design / Trafic|
|DM 1600.06(1) is revised with updated rumble strips guidance
|DM 1610 Traffic Barriers- reintroduction of wood guard rail posts on new construction.
|DM 1620 Impact Attenuators - getting major update
|DM 900 Roadsides (rewrite, brief chapter)
|DM 950 Public Art (minor revisions)
|DM 1040 Illumination
|DM 1100 Design Matrix Procedures and DM 1120 Basic Design Level - both revised in accordance with the Project Delivery Memo
The Details of Each Chapter Revision
more details will be added here
The tables below show the chapters in the current revision. The column marked "Current Status" shows where a chapter is in the process.
- When a chapter is ready for region/area review, it is posted in the first column.
- All comments will be posted in the second column.
- The third column is used to post the document with all comments merged and responded to.
- The fourth column presents the chapter as an FYI posting for regions/areas to view the outcome.
- After approvals, the chapter may be downloaded from the right-hand column and used on projects.
Chapter 320 - Traffic Analysis
Policy revision description: this chapter is rewritten to update policy and guidance on traffic analysis and forecasting. The revision may include addressing all travel modes rather than simply automobiles.
A Peer team led by HQ Traffic, included Region traffic and others, as well as consultants and HQ Design.
Chapter 550 - Interchange Justification Reports
This revision work is conicidental to DM 320 work described above. Safety anaylis is updated as well as other parts of the chapter.
NEW Chapter 1150 - Context and Modally Integrated Design: Main Streets
Revision description: To expand WSDOT’s Practical Design Initiative.
Sections of state highways that run through cities often confront the need to serve both regional traffic as a thoroughfare, and local multi modal traffic as a main street destination. Balancing the needs of throughput, economic vitality, livability and safety for all users is challenging. Serving all travel modes needs to be primary goal whenever we’re contemplating projects in these environments.
- This is the first draft Chapter on context and modally integrated design considerations. Additional context and road types will be developed in 2014/2015.
- The original intent was to publish this Main Streets Chapter using a Design Manual Supplement method by the end of April 2014. However, after completing a second statewide review due to the volume of substantive comments and revisions, we're now going to publish this in July with the regular revision update.
- Also we have marked up a couple Design Matrices to generate discussion on how WSDOT might implement this guidance on projects within it programs.
Chapter 900 - Roadsides
This chapter has been rewritten by the HQ Roadside and Site Development Section with input from region peers to coincide with the new Roadside Policy Manual published October 2013. Additionally, these chapters will be removed from the Design Manual when new Chapter 900 is published July 2014: 910, 920, 930, and 940.
Chapter 950 - Public Art
This chapter has been revised by the HQ Roadside and Site Development Section with input from region peers to coincide with the new Roadside Policy Manual published October 2013, and to make other minor revisions to the chapter. This one's showing tracked changes.
Chapter 1010 - Work Zone Safety and Mobility
A new Section has been added on Positive Protection Devices.
Full section numbers have been added to subsections. Much text
has been moved around, or otherwise edited.
Chapters 1130 and 1140 pertaining to Design Speed
This revision to 1130.02 and 1140.07 incorporates Project Delivery Memo #13-03 Practical Design Speed Policy.
DM 730 and DM 1515 minor changes
Chain link fence is removed as fall protection feature in two places in the Design Manual.
Policy review comment period
4/14/14 - 5/5/14
Policy review comments received
Disposition of review comments
Final FYI post
|download edited text to review and comment
|Download section from 730,
|| 1515 revised pages for use now.|
publication of minor change to 730 is withdrawn. (Larger work effort in 2015 on topic is planned.)
NEW Chapter 321 - Sustainable Safety
Peer team prepared new chapter addressing sustainable safety policy and guidance.
NEW Chapter 301 - Design and Maintenance Coordination Best Practices
New chapter covering best WSDOT region practices for effective coordination between design and maintenance.
April 2014 - Draft chapter is informed by interviews with each region's maintenance personnel, and the fall 2013 Design Manual users survey.
READY FOR STATEWIDE REVIEW - 6/9/2014
Sections of Chapters 1330 (Signals) 1510 (ADA Pedestrians) 1515 (Shared-Use Paths)
Revision description: HQ Traffic and Design offices revised guidance on closed pedestrian crossings, midblock crossings, and crosswalk marking and enhancement guidelines.
Chapters impacted: sections from DM 1330, 1510 and 1515 for review.
Chapter 1040 - Illumination
Revision description: HQ Traffic Office has revised WSDOT Illumination policy. Revisions include:
- Policy changes to required illumination areas (some are now removed).
- Adaptive lighting new topic added.
- References are updated
- Terms are added and will be placed in the Design Manual Glossary when published
- Light levels and uniformity ratios are revised in Exhibit 25
Chapter 1050 - Intelligent Transprtation Systems
Chapter rewritten by HQ Traffic office and FHWA Washington Division. Procedures and worksheets are provided. Same material was published in Local Agency Guidelines in April 2014, for consistent applications.
Section 1600.06(1) Rumble Strips
Rumble strips guidance has
Policy review comment period
5/5/14 - 5/23/14
Policy review comments received
Disposition of review comments
Final FYI post
|Download 1600.06(1) to review and comment
FHWA (good as is 4/22 email)
SCR good as is, 4/23 email
|Comments addressed; some may generate future policy update in a manual regarding pavement types or issues.
||Clean draft FYI post
||Download 1600.06(1) approved for use|
Sections of the chapter have been revised due to reintroduction of wood guardrail posts, and Exhibit 1610-9 is changed to add a transition to concrete barrier for type 31 guardrail.
Chapter 1620 - Impact Attenuator Systems
Reorganized content and updated text in many sections
Updated list and descriptions of available attenuator models
New Exhibits 1620-1a and 1620-1b consolidate information from previous exhibits 1620-1 and 1620-5 and add detail regarding attenuator system configurations
Chapter 1100 Design Matrix Procedures and 1120 Basic Design Level
These chapters are revised by incorporating existing policy in the Preservation Project Delivery Memo #12-01. As you recall this memo holds the most recent policy and most current version of the Design Matrices. With further changes foreseeable in 2015 for the Design Matrices and Chapter 1100, it's critical now to get DM 1100 and 1120 back up to date in the DM. Technically this is shifting existing policy to the DM from the memo.
- DM 1100 - The Design Matrices are made to match those in the Memo. Where the matrices showed a note , those are revised to show "B" for Basic Design Level, so you will see those tracked changes in the file. (Note  referred the memo reader to instruction within the memo itself, which will be retired.)
- Also note content in 1100.03(4) Safety Improvement Projects is reduced and reference is made to new DM 321 Sustainable Safety, where safety policy is presented.
- DM 1120 - Direction bullets from the memo are transferred to Chapter 1120.
- DM 1130/1140 - Minor text added to 1130 and 1140: Both Chapters 1130 and 1140 in their General Sections will make note of new DM Chapter 1150 as a potential chapter of guidance for contexts that 1150 covers. (this is unrelated to the memo referenced above.) More is planned for 1130 and 1140 in 2015, but want to get this added statement in now.
- See the three files below.
Sections of DM 1300 Intersection Control Analysis
Fiscal and right of way constraints are more prevalent today than before. Creative and innovative solutions must be considered to meet the challenge of these constraints. FHWA’s Every Day Counts (EDC) initiative has identified several intersection types aimed at reducing delivery time and enhanced safety benefits for certain situations. This update seeks to include more information on two related alternative intersection types highlighted by the EDC initiative, removes unsubstantiated information from the chapter, and adds references to the new Sustainable Safety Chapter.
· Multiple references back to Chapter 321 Sustainable Safety
· Revised Section 1300.04(5), removing unsubstantiated information
· Revised Section 1300.04(7), including a title and text change.
· Added Subsection 1300.04(7)a, for Median U-Turn intersection type.
· Added Subsection 1300.04(7)b, for Restricted Crossing U-Turn (Superstreet) intersection type.
· Added additional references
READY FOR STATEWIDE REVIEW 6-12-2014
The Design Manual Revision Process
Design Manual chapters currently planned for revision are listed in the tables above.
- When a draft chapter is ready for WSDOT Region and Area review and comment, a "Policy Review Draft" is posted in its respective table and designated points of contact are notified.
- The points of contact then download the chapter file and distribute to people in their region/area.
- Tables show the comment review period (usually 4 weeks).
- Points of contact collect comments and send back to HQ Design Office. Those comment files are posted in the tables as they are received.
- After evaluating all comments, the Design Office posts a file showing the final draft, with all comments and the HQ Design Office's response to them. Not all comments are used, but all are considered.
When a chapter has "final approval," it will be available for use prior to publication. See the link in the right-hand column of each table as chapters are approved.
Region "Points of Contact" (POCs)
WSDOT regions have identified specific people to act as POCs to coordinate a unified region response to draft policy changes.
- POCs coordinate with people in their region to review/comment on draft policy.
- POCs send their region's comments back to HQ in one document.
View WSDOT Region and Area points of contact list (updated 6/09/14)