HOV makeover in Tacoma requires squeeze at SR 16/I-5 connection
Eastbound SR 16 drivers near I-5 can expect delays, congestion through spring 2017
Temporary but significant changes are underway for drivers who use the eastbound State Route 16 on-ramp to northbound Interstate 5 in Tacoma. The change will allow crews to continue efforts to extend HOV lanes into Tacoma, but a similar configuration in 2015 created routine backups on SR 16 approaching I-5.
The eastbound SR 16 on-ramp to northbound I-5 is reduced to one lane through spring 2017.
The work zone space created by reducing eastbound SR 16 to one lane at northbound I-5 will allow crews to build new road approaches to the newly constructed bridge over Interstate 705/State Route 7. That new bridge will eventually carry all northbound I-5 traffic, and existing northbound I-5 lanes will be converted to HOV lanes.
Eastbound SR 16 travelers merging onto northbound I-5 can expect congestion and delays, particularly during the morning and afternoon commute hours. Drivers headed north of Tacoma who encounter backups are encouraged to consider detouring onto State Route 7, to South 38th Street (east), and looping back onto the SR 7 on-ramp to northbound I-5.
See additional information about this change at the WSDOT Blog.
Work continues for I-5 HOV projects in Tacoma
Drivers may encounter single- and double-lane closures in both directions of I-5 between Port of Tacoma Road and M Street.
Tuesday, Oct. 25
• 10 p.m. – Southbound I-5 exit to City Center/State Route 7 will close until 6 a.m. the following morning.
• 10 p.m. – East 27th Street/Portland Avenue on-ramp to southbound I-5 will close until 5 a.m. the following day.
Wednesday, Oct. 26
• 10 p.m. – Southbound Interstate 705 on-ramp to southbound I-5 will close until 6 a.m. the following morning.
• 11 p.m. – Northbound I-5 exit to Port of Tacoma Road/20th Street East will close until 4 a.m. the following day.
• East 28th Street on-ramp to northbound I-5 will close from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m. the following morning.
Thursday, Oct. 27
• 11 p.m. – Southbound I-705 on-ramp to southbound I-5 will close until 6 a.m. the following morning.
• 11:59 p.m. – Northbound I-5 exit to Port of Tacoma Road/20th Street East will close until 4 a.m. the following day.
• East 28th Street on-ramp to northbound I-5 will close from 11:59 p.m. to 4 a.m. the following morning.
New Pacific Avenue overpass opens in Tacoma, East McKinley Way overpass closed
The new Pacific Avenue bridge at Interstate 5 has opened to one lane of traffic in each direction. The overpass is also open for use by bicyclists and pedestrians. Crews will continue work to complete the overpass. The bridge ultimately will have a four-lane configuration, a 6-foot-wide sidewalk and a 14-foot-wide shared-use path.
East McKinley Way at I-5 is closed to all traffic. The closure will allow crews to rebuild the overpass. The closure will be in effect around the clock and is expected to last up to 18 months. During that time, drivers, bicyclists and pedestrians will detour to Pacific Avenue.
Rebuilding the overpass is part of the effort to expand I-5 HOV lanes into Tacoma.