Night HOV work closes I-5 ramps, lanes in Tacoma
Overnight ramp and lane closures are planned for the week of Aug. 3 on Interstate 5 in Tacoma as crews continue to work on two HOV projects.
Drivers can expect overnight single- and double-lane closures in segments of both northbound and southbound Interstate 5 between M Street and the Port of Tacoma Road.
- Wednesday, Aug. 5 to the morning of Thursday, Aug. 6
- From 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 6, crews will close the Port of Tacoma Road on-ramp to southbound I-5.
- From 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 6, crews will close the northbound I-5 collector/distributor lanes exit to State Route 7.
- From 12:01 a.m. to 5 a.m. Friday, Aug. 7, crews will close the northbound I-5 collector/distributor lanes exit to SR 7.
In addition, crews have scheduled a series of overnight single- and double-lane closures in segments of both northbound and southbound I-5 between M Street and the Port of Tacoma Road.
Alternate route for eastbound SR 16 drivers going to northbound I-5
Tired of the recent long backups on eastbound SR 16 heading to northbound I-5? Try this alternate route, which uses the SR 7 U-turn at South 38th Street. We've clocked it, and when backups at the merge are heavy this will take you about half the time! Just make sure that as you're heading up the hill on SR 7, take the route to South 38th Street east (not west).
In addition to the above mentioned ramp and lane closures, the following are long-term closures related to two I-5 HOV projects in Tacoma
Continued ramp closures
- Northbound State Route 7 on-ramp to southbound Interstate 5.
- A Street on-ramp to northbound Interstates 705/I-5.
Long-term closure of 20th Street East in Fife in place through 2017
The road closure is needed while crews build a new northbound Interstate 5 bridge over the Puyallup River. The bridge, which will be built adjacent to the existing northbound I-5 bridge, will be wider and straighter than the existing bridge, and will feature a new northbound high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lane. Other improvements will also be made on I-5 between Portland Avenue in Tacoma and the Port of Tacoma Road in Fife.
Tips for Driving Through Work Zones
- Pay attention - driver inattention is the number one cause of work zone accidents.
- Leave room between you and the car ahead of you - most work zone accidents involve someone running into the car ahead of them. Drive defensively - be aware of what is happening around you.
- Merge into the proper lane before you reach the work zone.
- Don't use cell phones or adjust your radio while driving through the work zone.
Summer construction season map for Pierce county (pdf 443kb)
Want to see WSDOT construction efforts? Take a look at the Construction Season Projects Map.
Weekly construction and traffic updates for the Olympic region
Sign up for Thurston and Pierce County Traffic News e-mail updates
Check out WSDOT on social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, and the WSDOT Blog
For more information on these projects, please contact WSDOT Olympic Region Communications staff during office hours at 360-357-2789 or by emailing email@example.com.